PAYPAL

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Eimear---Ireland/New Zealand/Canada/SLC


Salt Lake City airport 24/4/2012 
Sitting in Salt Lake City airport with only my Steinbeck novel and the butterflies in my stomach for company, I wonder why I am so anxious, and come to the conclusion that it is the dreaded fear of the unknown. I guess we all have a bit of a xenophobe in us. I reassure myself that the unknown is never as scary as we perceive, this I have learnt from many years of travel and adventuring in the outdoors.
I'm not sure what to expect and like any volunteer mission abroad one tends to learn much more than they actually make a difference. I am under no illusion in this regard! But if I can just insight some enthusiasm for learning in the local staff, or help to raise the profile of the Global Therapy Group, I will be happy, and if I get to make a slight difference to the lives of some individuals, then that will make me smile. 

From one Shaky City to the Next...

Some might think that it is ironic that I have left one earthquake stricken city for another. However, living and working through the devastating Christchurch earthquakes has emoted a compassion in me for helping survivors of earthquakes elsewhere. Perhaps it is a remnant of some survivor guilt, or just a desire to use my skills where they are really needed, or the realisation through years of rehabilitative work, that it is hope that fuels the human spirit. Maybe it is a self healing mission to help me put my own experiences in perspective. One way or another I am very excited to have the opportunity to work as a physiotherapist in Haiti. 

No comments:

Post a Comment