PAYPAL

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Kate---My Dream of Haiti


My trip to Haiti felt like an old dream realized and the
beginning of a beautiful new journey...... It was through art and music that I developed a curiosity and connection to Haiti as a young girl and when I was 16 I begged my father to let me go to there for a school service project. I was the only girl of 5 kids, he shook his head
no and said he just wasn’t ready to let me go so far away on my own. I went off to college, life happened, my responsibilities increased and Haiti became a distant dream. This year I woke up and realized I was stuck, I was living my life with my head and I was not going for what
was in my heart. I made a list of my hearts desires and going to Haiti was #2. I sat at the computer and googled “Occupational Therapy in Haiti”. The first hit was Global Therapy Group. I watched Donna’s video, emailed her the next day and on July 14 I landed in Port au Prince.
I knew very soon that I had landed right where I was meant to be. From the amazing welcome by Caroline at the guest house to Andrew’s big smile first thing Monday morning, I felt the fear of the unknown fade away, being replaced by the warmth of the smiles coming from the people waiting patiently for therapy in the morning sun. I sat on the patio that first Monday night and was overwhelmed with gratitude that I was there and I was so excited to go back to the clinic in the morning.
The first thing that became obvious in the clinic was my dependence on equipment and resources. I would look at the child I was working with and my head would go,"I wish I
had a ...” Or, “I really need a ...." The limited amount of equipment available in the clinic forced me to clear my head and just think. I problem solved and talked to Andrew or Pascal about what I wanted the child to do so they could translate and direct them, and I soon realized the clinic didn’t have what I was used to but it had enough. This process was anxiety producing the first few days not because I needed things I didn’t have, but because I was
used to having so much 'stuff'. I had stopped using one of my greatest tools as a therapist...my mind! This realization made me mad and I was all of the sudden motivated by the challenges, humored by some of the less than stellar ideas I had, and inspired by the gratification that comes with successful problem solving. I am a natural communicator. It has been a strength I have relied on clinically and I was curious how the language barrier would impact my connection to the patients. It took a little getting used to, I struggled with knowing, who do I look at. How much do i say at one time? And things of that nature, but I also realized that the process creates this beautiful moment of complete silence. I would sit and listen as Andrew or Pascal relayed information to a patient and as the patient was responding, I wasn’t already thinking about my own response or asking a question that may change or interrupt their thoughts. Because I didn’t understand the words they were saying, I was just sitting and listening, watching the faces and body language of the patients waiting for the translation. I learned again that my eyes & ears are also very powerful pieces of equipment that I may be under utilizing at home. I am not suggesting that the equipment & resources we have in the US are not beneficial and often needed for success,
and I wish the clinic had more of them, but it was important for me to be reminded that tools like watching, listening, problem solving and creativity combined with motivation, determination and laughter, can not only bring hope and healing to patients, but can remind a therapist why they chose and love what they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment