PAYPAL

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Eimear May 3, 2012


It occurred to me today, as my patient stood up instead of lying down, then took off his shirt, instead of his shoes, that I will never take communication in the same language for granted again.

Although my Creole is improving (by about one sentence a day!), I find it particularly difficult to piece together a fully comprehensive history of a presenting problem.

As a physio, I rely heavily on my ability to communicate verbally, and non-verbally. Listening, reading body language and interpreting the presentation of a problem enables me to come up with a good idea of the probable diagnosis, before I even touch a patient.

Subjective assessment is probably the most important aspect of a physios work because without a good questioning and answering session, there is almost no way for you to get a handle on what is actually happening with your patient.

Taking this tool away from a physio is like taking a spanner off a mechanic, or a ladder off a builder. 

Although my translator is excellent at relaying all the relevant information, we seem to lose the fluidity of questioning and answering. I lose my train of thought (especially when the occasion turns into a group discussion with all the random waiting punters) and presumably miss out on vital pieces of information. 

Despite my best efforts at learning Creole, I get the distinct impression that much is lost in translation. I feel a bit guilty about this and I hope it doesn't effect my standard of care too much.

I just wonder how many people I've treated for stroke when they've  actually sprained their ankle, or for a sprained ankle when they've actually had a stroke...whoops! Let's just hope that my objective examinations are up to scratch!

However, they do seem to be coming back for more....it was another fun and busy day at the clinic:
On a lighter note, I learned today, that in some Haitian cultures, if a woman marries a younger man, then she becomes the age of the husband, and he becomes her age....sweet! An easy solution to the aging problem. Way to go Haiti!

Signing out...off for some frizz control and mango eating...




No comments:

Post a Comment