PAYPAL

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Eimear May 1, 2012


I have had an awesome week at work, it is such a pleasure to go to work each day to be greeted by these two beautiful smiles: 




However, I have been a bit perplexed about how my Haitian patients have been receiving my treatments.
I have fleeting moments of immense job satisfaction when I feel like the best physio in the world EVER!! 

Another patient delighted and excited about the outcome of their treatment.  My ego swells (albeit momentarily!) and I love my work more than anything in the world!
But I get to thinking about the outcome of applying the same treatment technique to a patient with the same pain or disability at home. The positive outcomes here are so much more positive! It doesn't quite equate. Somewhat a paradox.
I interrogate my translator Andrew, assuming that I am being told what I want to hear in order not to disrespect or disappoint me. I can see the objective improvements, and Andrew assures me that all subjective reports of improvement are genuine!
Maybe Andrew is also too nice to tell me otherwise?!!
Why is it that basic physiotherapy management works better here?
It got me to thinking about assumptions and expectations of intervention.
Perhaps if you expect less, or don't know what to expect, you get a more positive outcome.
Perhaps the awareness and belief in physiotherapy is yet underdeveloped so that the "magic wand" phenomenon doesn't yet exist. 
Perhaps people are so unaccustomed to professional help that any little difference creates a much more pronounced physical and psychological benefit.
Has anybody got any thoughts on this?
As Jo Ann Roberts (one of the founders of the Global Therapy Group) informed me when I raised this perplexing  matter: "they listen to us, do what we ask and actually get better". What a delightful way to work! 

No comments:

Post a Comment