PAYPAL

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Day 12 - Janean

Day 12

Today we had a goat wander into our clinic. Enough said.

Today, Heather coaxed me way, way out of my comfort zone and we got out of our van in Port au Prince and bartered with street vendors for some Haitian art. Let's just say I'm not too good at that. I purchase my item for half of what he started at, but he probably would have gone lower, I was just wanting to get back in the van!

Judeline did great again today; she let Heather put her hand in a bowl of water! She squealed a bit in pain, but then calmed down while listening to the ipod again. Later, I took my hair out of my hairband and she actually ran her LEFT hand through my hair a couple of times. Yeah, Judeline!

Luc Pierre did not have his surgery today. The hospital did not have electricity all day. His two daughters came and talked to the doctor. I'm not exactly clear about what was said, but I think the surgery has either been postponed or cancelled, but I'm not exactly sure.

One of my outpatients today agreed to let me soak her foot and tons of dry skin came off in chunks, all the way down to a stitch that had been left in from her previous surgery. I sent her to the plastic surgeon who was in clinic today, and he removed her stitch and told her how good the original wound was looking. Then she relaxed a bit and did some stretching and walked out of there looking and feeling alot better.

Anise walked several hundred feet today, and she walked about the last 100' with only one crutch. I told her that she has to start doing that so she has one hand free to carry baby Isaac. She looked so tall and proud to be walking with her prosthesis on the left leg, the crutch on the right side and a free arm to carry him!

Water is such a scarcity here. We bring in to work each day six water bottles full (three for us, and three for our translators). In addition, we carry in two gallons in jugs. The patients are not given water in the hospital because they don't have clean water. (The pharmacy has gallon jugs that you can get if you really beg. Claude told me yesterday that he is working on a water purification system and hopes to have one up and running in a few weeks.) Anyway, we have street children hanging around every day and patients, both in and outpatient, that all need water. A small bag of water, pint sized, costs .30 on the street. We have seen Judeline's mom walking down the hill from the hospital to buy water several times. How do these people do this day after day? Keep in mind that the average Haitian gets by on $2.00 per day.

The Scripture says, "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger and you invited me in. I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you? The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine you did for me." Matthew 25:35-40.

Lord, help us to be obedient to your Word!

To God be the glory,

Janean

No comments:

Post a Comment