PAYPAL

Sunday, April 18, 2010

My second day in Haiti - Kirsten

Bonswa!
My second day in Haiti is a day of rest. Church, then playing at the orphanage with the little ones. They are such beautiful children and I hope they get adopted soon. I understand that they are given up for adoption in hopes that will have a better life than their parents can provide for them. We held babies during church and fed them lunch afterward.

We were told of the "brothels" now in the tent cities. I can't imagine having to do that to provide for my family, but if my child was starving I will never say I wouldn't. I am grateful that I live where there are more options for me. Thank You, GOD!

I keep thinking about the hospital conditions here. Small rooms with as many cots in the room as they will hold. The families are responsible for bathing and feeding the patients. Lunch only is provided. The only medication dispensed is Tylenol- no matter what the condition. Anise just had a c-section 3 days before I saw here and they would not give her even Tylenol. Imagine enduring the pain of a c-section and an amputation without meds. The patients are so grateful for all that we do. After I stood her, she thanked me graciously. Even in church this morning, we were frequently thanked for coming to help. Dr. Bernard used the story of Lazarus' death and the grieving of Mary and Martha for his sermon this morning. Our just being here was part of our helping the Hatians to deal with their grief. I am grateful for being a part of the solution and for being able to help the beautiful Hatian people go through the grieving process on to healing.
Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment