PAYPAL

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Hedda Wednesday - Heather

There is no "TH" in Creole.
When our translators speek quickly they cannot say my name.

Today my son Jefferson needed new shoes. I asked the translators how much shoes are and gave him 5 dollars to go buy some and return to show me. He had very thinly worn flip flops that the had rigged a metal wire to hold the strap on the bottom. He did not even put them on until I had seen them. He was gone for several hours and probably had to walk a long way.

We were in the truck to go home and behind a tap-tap, but it only had a few people in it. I asked Janean and Kirsten if they wanted to get out and get on the back like the Haitians and take a picture. Janean was horrified that I even had the thought. Then we saw the patien had an externl fixator on her left lower leg. What a perfect time for some home health! I wanted to give her a business card, but they will not be here until Friday. I did get them to stop and actually get out to buy from some art vendors. It was fun and we were able to give to the Haitian economy, which has become important to us.

We don't go to the kitchen at lunch for beans and rice. Frankly, it is too hot to eat that kind of thing. (95 today). I also have difficulty eating when the children have nothing. The xray tech keeps bringing our lunch to us and we keep taking it to the kids. It is enough to feed 3 kids on each plate. Our translators don't like us to give it to them, but we do anyway.

I had an intense conversation with Emmanual about God's perfect plan and will for our lives. I see hope in him, but it is difficult in Haiti because there is no money. Day to day is a way of life. I am seeking information about providing therapy education here.

I has a tough discussion with our 15 year old about her hand. She needs to work it if she is going to be able to use it. She did some self mobilization and even relaxed her wrist on the armrest to listen to music. I saw my guy that had a long leg brace. I was able to mobilize his knee to 80 degrees with a therapy ball--my favorite technique at home! He really wanted to practice his English, so I was able to distract him enough to get his knee to move more.

I blew up some gloves and the kids played with them for quite some time. They are very good about giving to one another. This is what strikes me about Jefferson, if i give him anything he shares with his friends. It reminds me of the woman who gave much by giving a penny, but it was all she had. They give to one another like Christ would have us give.
(Luke 21:1-4)

One last thought: I asked one of the children how old he was. He said he didn't know. So we decided that today he is seven and he should add to that every year. This brings to mind the point about individualization. This is lacking here. We have a 15 year old girl that 3 therapists are working to make her more functional. It is an American approach...each person has value. Here there are so many with so much need,even a child does not know how old he is.

Tomorrow I will speak to our onlookers about God's love for them, each as individuals. Just like Christ would seek one sheep. I may make the point better if I say GOAT.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment