PAYPAL

Monday, April 19, 2010

My third day in Haiti - Kirsten

Bonswa,
Haiti is such a colorful place, despite the rubble. The population is massive and the overcrowding is obvious.
The clinic was busy this am. The word is getting out about the clinic and more people are coming. I am meeting so many concerned doctors and nurses from the US who are here to help as well. A hand surgeon is here now and wants to refer patients to me. One patient I saw had shoulder impingement with pain and edema. After about a half an hour, I was able to mobilize his scapula and range his arm to approximately 60 degrees. He was happy and left, to return tomorrow. He actually returned a few hours later after being hit by a car on the same arm that I worked. I referred him to the ER. More OT's are needed here. I am constantly busy with hand, shoulder/ UE injuries. There is plenty to do for OT.

The rainy season means more humidity. We are outside covered by a tarp, but the heat and humidity are great. We drink lots of water to stay hydrated. Today I used the hospital bathroom. If I don't already have thighs of steel, I will by the end of the week. Warning: carry kleenex with you and hand sanitizer!

The trauma from the earthquake is still evident in the people. The children are fearful of returning to school due to fear of the building collapsing on them. I admire the grace and tenacity of the people I meet. So humble and grateful for the care they receive. I wish some of our patients in KC could have the same attitude.

Each day is a new experience here. I am learning and growing because of this experience and will never be the same. More tomorrow.
Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment