PAYPAL

Sunday, April 18, 2010

My first day in Haiti - Kirsten

Bonswa!

My first day in Haiti has been such an amazing experience. I have a unique perspective from the other therapists that have come because I am an African American Occupational Therapist. The first OT to come. The first thing I noticed was that the Haitian people are such a beautiful people. I watched women walking with large baskets on their heads, totally full of grace and beauty. What posture and balance they must have to walk the streets without holding on to the items on their heads. The city of Port-au-Prince is such colorful place. Not many billboards, they just paint colorful advertisements and signs right on the walls of the city and on the buildings. It is so colorful and bright. The rubble and destruction lay among this and it is hard to see.

I got my first sight of the Physiotherapy clinic. What an amazing structure or part of one) in such a short period of time. Only GOD could have put the right people in the right place at the right time to erect a wall and tarp on top. It was amazing. The patients were so greatful for all we could do for them. I know why OT needs to be here. I saw so many hand and UE injuries from crushings. Lots of nerve damage. They are eager to do what they need to do to get better.

We are tired from the heat and humidity, but throughly blessed. GOD is awesome!
Kirsten Brooks

No comments:

Post a Comment