PAYPAL

Thursday, April 22, 2010

janean

OK, I just want to start off by saying that it was all Heather's idea. We have been so well received with handing out water at the end of the day, that Heather decided we ought to step it up a notch (a big notch) and walk to the market (over a mile), buy tons of those little water bags, and hand them out to people. So, we did! Our three translators went with us and were very protective of us, staying right by our side.

**Before I go on, I have a retraction from last night's email. We miscommunicated on the price of water with our translators. The little water bags (about a cup and a half) costs about 2 gourdes; therefore, we purchased about 100 of them for $5.00, or 20 of them for a $1.00.

So, anyway, Heather starts by buying an entire vendor's bag full of water and puts in on her head for a picture. Everyone starting laughing and clapping. Then, she started handing them out and the people came from everywhere. Kirstin and I also starting handing them out, and we probably handed out 300 water bags there. We bought about 100 more and gave them to the kids at the orphanage just down the street from the hospital, and we gave about 100 more to all the patients and staff inside the hospital. Alex (my translator) and I had a great talk on the way back from the market. He said that he couldn't believe how generous Americans were; he said that meant more to him than anything we had done this week because we spent our own money to give away something free to the poor. He said, "I think you really care about Haiti." I told him that since we are Christians, it is our privilege to share with others and that's what God has called us to do. Besides, I told him, if he is a Christian and I am a Christian, we are brother and sister in Christ, and as a family member, I am called to help when he, and his country is in trouble. That seemed to really touch him.

I can't say that I was entirely comfortable; it was dirty, smelly, and there were flies everywhere. But there were people there too; valuable people to God, whom we were able to share with in even a small way. We made some pretty feeble attempts at "God Bless You" in Creole, and overall, I was so glad we went. So, thanks again, Heather, for pushing me WAY outside my comfort zone. (I'm kind of glad tomorrow is our last day; if we stayed much longer I'm afraid she would try to get us to ride a tap-tap!)

Luc Pierre still has his leg; they ordered an xray today to have a look at it. He was in good spirits and sat on the edge of the bed for some exercises.

Judeline did great; she walked with one crutch and mod assist on the other side today. She also did some really good stretching on her hand with Kirstin and Heather.

Anise had a fabulous day, walking over 250' with only one crutch. She is a beautiful, proud woman with a great smile, and such a joy to work with.

It is going to be so tough to say goodbye tomorrow. I'm dreading that...alot. Although I miss my family and friends, air conditioning and anything to eat besides beans and rice.

Blessings to you all,

Janean

No comments:

Post a Comment