PAYPAL

Monday, April 19, 2010

Heather - Monday

Yesterday, I started my message and was interrupted by lack of internet connection. I blame Janean,she was hogging our blogging seat! On Sunday, I was unable to get a message because it was raining...really raining.

I am really enjoying this work. People come and sit and wait at the side of our clinic until the next person is available to see them. They are very grateful.

My first patients included: a lady from Saturday that has nerve damage on her R side from laying in rubbel. She wants to go without a cane, but she is not ready yet. She came to our prayer circle with our ministry team and a team of doctors. Her smile was so big to be included.

I then saw a 6 year old girl. (I have a six year old girl) She had a stroke when she was 7 months old and has had no access to therapy. She ambs with a CP type gait and is functional, but her mom was hoping for more. I gave her some exercises and Kirsten was really what she needed for her hand.

Next, a pt with a severe foot contraction. I spent over an hour "creating" a custom made foot orthosis to increase the weight bearing surface area. I must have went to the storage closet 20 times for something else in this process. Let me just say : It was great! It was made out of rapid splint anf formed to her foot, then I built up the heel with casting material. In the end, she didn't want it. She thought I was going to give her "special shoes. I fit her with forearm crutches, and used bandaids to make a new rubber stopper stay on her cane. It makes me laugh to think about.

I also saw and amputee who I sent to Handicap International for prosthetic refitting; a man who was just out of a long leg cast (hip to toe) We made a treatment table on the floor using our therapy sign and I worked his motion and taught him how to do it himself. He would benefit from daily therapy, but he lives too far away. He said he would try to come back on Wed or Fri. He lives in a tent city and with our gas shortage can not access transportation. Tap-taps are full of 20 or more people, not conducive to a stiff leg. Other pts were wounds and soft tissue injuries. My team mates are very good about not letting me lift and staying on top of my hand. Kirsten gives me private OT for chocolate.

So much happens in a day that we feel we can't get it all down on paper. God is seen in everything we do and I am excited to discuss this with my family and friends when I return.

Oh, one more thing...our interpreters (most of them) stick to use like glue. Yesturday Emmanuel learned all the bones of the leg, how to treat sweeling and that you can make something from odds and ends in a storage closet. We did disagree when we found that he did not translate to our patient with an external fixator that he may need an amputation. He said "I know my people, better to tell the family."

Blessings to all.
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment