PAYPAL

Friday, April 23, 2010

Heather - Friday

It is funny how many things can get lost in traslation. You never know if what you said was the point that was really made. Especially with a people who want to please and say oui, oui (yes, yes) and shake their heads. Today brought a laughable situation. I had a patient from the Dominican Republic (who had shot himself accidentally in the foot. ) People from DR speak Spanish. So I found myself explaining scar massage and range of motion from: English to Creole, Creole to Spanish.. Another of my pts stood in as translator and we created a 4 peson path from therapist to pt. Ha!

We distributed water again and peanut butter sandwiches. (To give a little fat to the children) Everyone is grateful, and did not take more than one for themselves so it could go farther.

Jefferson was not at the clinic when we arrived this am. He showed up later with a gift for me- a pair of sandles he had made out of a cornflake box. Beautiful. I would have worn them all day if they would have stayed on. He asked me who would taake cae of him when I was gone. I told him to pray to Jesus to meet his needs, even to the poit of bringing someone else to him. He is a christian boy, so he understood. As the truck pulled away he cried.

They translators were in a mix of joy and sadness. They did not want to see us go. They have learned about hope and Jesus' servant attitude. And have taught us more than they know. The joy comes from the connections that are being made to create a therapy school here in Haiti. So many are in need of our services.

This trip was very spiritual for me. I am learning about listening for Gods voice, following His will and showing His love and mercy. Thank you for all who have prayed for our teams.

Now I must go, Deet myself one last time, and head back for the US.
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment